CONTACT: Barbara Riley
(202) 463-2436, firstname.lastname@example.org
WASHINGTON - The American Forest & Paper Association has released its January 2017 Printing-Writing Paper Report.
According to the report, total printing-writing paper shipments decreased 5% in January compared to January 2016. Total printing-writing paper inventory levels were flat from December 2016.
· Uncoated free sheet (UFS) paper shipments decreased 3% year-over-year in January. UFS imports increased 16% in December compared to December 2015, but finished the year 14% below 2015, with exports decreasing 11% for the year.
· January coated free sheet (CFS) paper shipments decreased 5% compared to January 2016. Imports of CFS papers also decreased 5% year-over-year in December, but increased 2% for the year, with exports decreasing just 1% in 2016.
· Uncoated mechanical (UM) paper shipments decreased 18% in January compared to January 2016. Imports of UM increased 2% in December, but decreased 7% year-over-year in 2016. Exports of UM in December dropped 11% and were down 10% compared to the previous year.
· Coated mechanical (CM) shipments in January decreased 2% when compared to January 2016. Imports of CM increased 27% in December compared to December 2015, and up 3% for the year, with exports increasing 2% in December, and down 5% relative to the previous year.
The complete report with detailed tables, charts and historical data can be purchased by contacting Caroline Nealon at Statistics_Publications@afandpa.org or 202-463-2448.
# # #
The American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) serves to advance a sustainable U.S. pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and wood products manufacturing industry through fact-based public policy and marketplace advocacy. AF&PA member companies make products essential for everyday life from renewable and recyclable resources and are committed to continuous improvement through the industry’s sustainability initiative - Better Practices, Better Planet 2020. The forest products industry accounts for approximately 4 percent of the total U.S. manufacturing GDP, manufactures over $200 billion in products annually, and employs approximately 900,000 men and women. The industry meets a payroll of approximately $50 billion annually and is among the top 10 manufacturing sector employers in 45 states. Visit AF&PA online at www.afandpa.org or follow us on Twitter @ForestandPaper.